Best Gynecologists in Bangalore | Dr. Sunita Pawar
When you are pregnant, you are responsible for the health of two people. Therefore, you need to pay special attention to your diet in such a situation.
Whatever you eat during pregnancy affects the health of your baby. For example, some foods may harbor disease-causing bacteria, which can cause problems like food poisoning for the baby. So if you are pregnant, you need to be careful.
Avoid eating or drinking anything during pregnancy that could make you or your baby sick or affect your baby’s development.
How to know what to eat and what not to eat during pregnancy?
Knowing what is safe to eat during pregnancy and what is not is very straightforward. However, only your doctor can give you the best advice on what not to eat.
Today in this blog, six foods and beverages have been told which should not be eaten during your pregnancy.
1. Few kinds of Fish
- Some types of fish are especially good for pregnant women, while some kinds of fish should be avoided during pregnancy.
Mercury harms your immune system, kidney, and nervous system. High levels of mercury are often found in polluted seas, so pregnant women should avoid eating high-mercury fish. High mercury fishes include:-
- Tilefish from the Gulf of Mexico
- Tuna (especially Big Eye Tuna)
- King mackerel
- Orange roughy
However, not all types of fish contain high mercury. Eating low-mercury fish is very healthy, like Salmon and anchovies, because they contain high omega-3 fatty acids.
2. Undercooked or Processed Meat
- Although you can avoid Meat during pregnancy if you still want to eat meat, keep in mind that the Meat should not be undercooked. Also, try avoiding blood-red Meat.
- Blood-red Meat or undercooked Meat can contain food poisoning bacteria like Salmonella, and Trichinella, which can cause neurological illness, blindness, and intellectual disability in the baby.
3. Raw Sprouts
- Undoubtedly, salads are very good for health and contain sprouts. However, if you are pregnant, you should avoid consuming salads containing raw sprouts.
- Raw sprouts like clover, mung bean sprouts, radish, and alfalfa are ideal for bacteria and bacteria like Salmonella due to the environment’s moisture.
- Pregnant women should avoid drinking alcohol, as it increases the risk of stillbirth or miscarriage. Also, alcohol negatively affects the development of the baby’s brain. There is also a risk of alcohol syndrome.
- You may be fond of tea, coffee, cocoa, cold drinks, and sodas, but you must give them up immediately when pregnant. This is because all these drinks have a high caffeine content.
- High caffeine intake during pregnancy can affect fetal development and increase the risk of low birth weight.
6. Unpasteurized Juice
- Fruit juices during pregnancy are very beneficial for the health of you as well as your baby. But things like unpasteurized juices, raw milk, and cheese should be avoided. Bacteria like Salmonella, Listeria, and E. Coli spread in pasteurized foods, which can be fatal for your baby.